Saturday, December 11, 2010

If you need a job done...

Lucille Ball said "If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it."

I would like to clarify this: If you want something done, ask a busy mom.  Well, I'd like to think so anyway.  In reality, our house is a study in chaos!

Last night I spent a few hours looking at my schedule and trying to find a way to fit everything in.  There is too much to do: exercise, laundry, time with Matt, reading with Number One child, studying, my own reading, writing, brushing the kids' teeth, painting Number Two child's toes, brushing my teeth, having a shower, planning for next year's kids' ministry, painting the wall where Number Three child just drew his first masterpiece, and on and on.



There is so much I want to do and I'm struggling to find the time to even give myself quality time or to have space to listen to my Daddy's plans for the next year or even to carve out a bit of time to write.



What I have learnt the most is that if you try and compartmentalise it all and do one thing at a time it won't work.  Right now, as I write this, one kid is watching Charlie and Lola, another is messing around with the vacuum cleaner and the third is fending off the second who has tired of the vacuum cleaner.  Writing in a vacuum and silence is not possible any more, or I would never write.

Alone time becomes a precious commodity as a mother and something I have had to become less precious about.  It won't be long, I keep telling myself, before they are off growing their own lives and families.  Then I'll have plenty of time to myself!

Back to the busy mom bit.  I've decided the kids need to start helping out around here as there is just not enough time in the day to keep this place tidy and clean and still manage to fit in all the other bits.  Not that teaching kids to do chores doesn't create it's own work.

Maybe I should clarify Lucille's statement somewhat further then: If you want something done, ask a mom whose kids don't just loiter around aimlessly all day.  Maybe.  I'll let you know once my lot stop mooching around and start making their beds (the older two anyway!).

No comments:

Post a Comment